RSS Feed

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

ADHD in our midst

I can't keep up with all of the changes in my life. It seems that we face new challenges weekly in our family. My husband has been admitted to long-term care but he is so very unhappy to be there. It is agonizing to watch and yet I have 2 small children who need me more than he does. I finally went to the doctor to talk about my son. I have been watching him since last year and wondering about ADHD. It is time to go down that road. As a teacher, I have seen the benefits of medication for SOME children so we are starting a trial. I wish I could take this away from him. He is such an amazing boy with so much compassion for others and a deep desire to succeed. Our family has been learning how to deal with the constant movement and daredevil impulses. The harder part of ADHD is the emotional side. He knows something is keeping him from being his best self and he is beginning to lose self-esteem. He is easily frustrated and cries a lot at school. I am his teacher this year and I have a wonderful class that is empathetic. They don't tease him but I worry about that happening. Worry is the problem really. It is time to trust God and quit wasting my energy on worrying. I think this blog is going to be a place to write and hopefully leave it on the page. So much for a cute and simple teaching blog. My life is just so not cute or simple.

1 comments:

Nicole MacIver Okiring said...

Your life may not be cute or simple, but you have a lot of wisdom to pass on to both teachers and parents. I agree, it's time to trust God rather than worry. I am so amazed by you and your strength, creativity and patience!

Post a Comment